Google+ Little Bird: 5 Song Friday - Female singer special

Friday 19 April 2013

5 Song Friday - Female singer special

This Friday I thought I would bring you 5 songs from 5 different female fronted bands that I enjoy.   Hopefully you will find something new too. As a singer myself, I love hearing new female vocalists and searching for different styles of singing to draw some influence from them. I've tried to select 5 different vocalists with very different styles of singing, so I hope you enjoy!

Sharing is Caring.



Molotov Jukebox 'Don't Panic'


I freaking love this band. My boyfriend came across them and introduced me to them and I got hooked! They have a rather unique style which they themselves described as 'gyp-step'; a blend of classic guitar, violin, trumpet, walking bass lines and jazz-influenced drums. Excellent. Natalia Tena is the singer AND ACCORDIAN PLAYER. That's right. An accordian. It's pretty cool. You may know her from the likes of Game of Thrones and Harry Potter but bet you didn't know she could do all this too. I'm envious. She has a nice classic-style voice actually, very sweet with some subtle attitude in it. She is quite a laid back singer and I would definitely like to hear her push her voice and see where she takes us.. Love this band.
Saw them live in Aberdeen - one of the best nights ever.


The Design 'Burn'



I discovered these guys last year, when I found out that this song is inspired by the Hunger Games book series (if you know me, you know I have a serious problem, as I am a little obsessed with these books NEXT FILM THIS YEAR!! BOOM!). I really enjoy lead singer Kat's voice, she has a deep soulful voice with a bit of rasp and some crazy vibrato. Worth a wee listen I reckon.


The Pierces 'Kill Kill Kill'




I found this band through my short phase (wasted time) watching Gossip Girl. It's two sisters with a mix of musical styles behind them (think jazz/blues/country). They both have really nice, classic sounding voices and their songs each have a unique flavour to bring to your ears.


Siouxsie & the Banshees 'Spellbound'


Wild hair and obscure make up. Gotta love a bit of goth, you do. This song is AMAZING. She may not be the best singer in the world, but who cares, she's got character. This song is so much fun and is excellent up loud!!


Massive Attack 'Dissolved Girl'




Boy does this band take you on a journey.Technically this isn't a female fronted band, but this song is. Vocalist Sara Jey, sings on this track and it's just amazing. One of my favourite Massive Attack tracks. This song is dark and fabulous. Enjoy. Loud.


H x



No comments :

Post a Comment

Tell me something...